Thursday, October 9, 2008

The Strength of the French

The list of things that France does well just got longer.



Autumn, though brief in the Rocky Mountains, arrived some two weeks ago with Aspen trees that shone their gold hue across the mountain range. Mountain biking through the dense dark trees, we would be shocked while passing through the Aspen groves. Their bright yellow leaves lighting up the trail with a sharp gold shade. Moist dirt from evening frost and interspersed precipitation made corners super tacky, providing traction of divine proportions.

The colors do not last long here since deciduous trees are not as common as in, say Vermont, but the cooler temperatures are a welcome change from the desert like front range summers. Before I know it, I'll be waxing skis and tossing another log on the fire.

The seasonal climate brings with it a cold crisp breeze and this year, a change for myself as well. When I poke my nose out from underneath the covers into the brisk morning air, taking my first conscious breath of the day, it will be a breath of opportunity and vast possibilities. The LEGO space ship that is my life will be built a few blocks higher with each brick chosen and placed meticulously towards a larger goal of freedom and exploration. Of speed and utility. Of happiness.

2 comments:

Lynda said...

Hey there...I'll be in your neck of the woods at the end of this month - I'm 'connecting' thru Denver for a few days on my way back. If you're around, I'll trade you some wine for some sport beans...

Michael Cody said...

Oh, that sounds like a trade to me. Hit me up: mlcody@gmail.com