Monday, December 10, 2007

It snows in Colorado?

No it doesn't really snow here, no, it is more akin to dumping. Or "nuking" as the locals are apt to say.

It started snowing on Thursday night and didn't really stop until Saturday night. With that in mind it was hard to pass up the opportunity to ski up at Winter Park with a free day pass last Friday. My first day out on snow for the year was pretty awesome, and only got better when they opened up a previously closed section of the mountain for the first time this year.

Needless to say people were going nuts to get fresh tracks. My first run down was more like walking since people packed the trail tip to tail and edge to edge on the traverse over. As we hit the steeper sections where the speed picked up, I was reminded of a scene from a WWII airplane dogfight. People were buzzing me left and right and crashing in powder like they had been shot down, exploding into puffballs of snow as each struggled to remember how to ski powder. I was hollering all the way down to the lift, where I had to sit down to catch my breath. The next run resembled medics tending to wounded soldiers with groups of 2-4 looking for lost skis in the deep powder. Thank god for tele skis with leashes.

Saturday, it dumped even more, unreal. The avalanche danger was high throughout the front range on Sunday so my good buddy and roommate Brett and I decided to do some ski touring up on the backside of Eldora. We were excited.

Well Brett was, I guess I was befuddled.

It was super mellow terrain which wasn't so fun on the descent, but such is life. I can't have face shots and big powder everyday.

Hoping to be back to the road soon, but the forecast tonight is for tons of snow...

1 comment:

megA said...

face shots. . .hee-hee

missing YOU!
xo
m